Hours: Approximately 25-30 hours/week. Varied days and times
Wages: Community Services Specialist VII – $18.00 – $22.61, depending on relevant work experience & training
Status/Selection Process: Temporary Part Time, No benefits. Applicants will be screened according to experience most relevant to this position. The most qualified will be invited to an individual or small group interview.
Position Description : Under the supervision of the Community Services Supervisor, the Youth & Adult Sports Coordinator assists and oversees the planning, organization, promotion and coordination of daily operations for both adult and youth sport activities throughout the City. The City of Davis Adult & Youth Sports Program offers a variety of sport programs, such as youth specialty camps, junior basketball leagues, open gym for adults, batting cages and adult sport leagues.
Typical Responsibilities: (these examples are neither restricted to nor all-encompassing of the duties to be performed under this job title)
- Assists in planning, promoting, implementing, supervising, and coordinating sports programs and specialty camps
- Assists in the administration of youth and adult sports, including processing registration forms and accepting fees
- Proficiently operates computer and software programs in the design and promotion of press releases, flyers, social media and printed schedules
- Promotes interest and participation in sports through public relations and informational programs
- Assists in the recruitment, selection, training, supervision and evaluation of sports personnel and volunteers
- Responds to citizen inquiries and requests for information
- Actively researches new sports programs and sponsors, and develops ways to contact and obtain the appropriate coaches and assistants
- Ensure equipment and facility is safe and properly prepared and maintained and arrange for broken or unsafe equipment and facilities to be repaired
- Keep work environments clean and organized
- Communicate with customers and parents regarding program details and logistics
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City staff, and coordinate required field maintenance as needed
- Prepare weekly documents, acquire necessary supplies and training material to facilitate monthly staff meetings
- Evaluate sports staff and volunteers and jointly develop improvement plans when necessary
- Maintain accurate and detailed financial records and oversee expenditures
- Accurately and thoroughly document program information including volunteers, staff, schedules, and special events
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Examples of Duties:
Knowledge of and Ability To:
- Business letter writing and basic report preparation
- Knowledge of basic Public Relations/Customer Services principles and techniques
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Ability to demonstrate strong skills in leadership and team building
- Ability to demonstrate internal and external customer service skills
- Properly interpret and make decisions in accordance with laws, regulations, policies and procedures
- Work well independently
- Work well in a fast-paced, often hectic environment, and meet established deadlines
- Perform responsible and difficult work involving the use of independent judgement and personal initiative
- Provide support to other Parks & Community Services Department staff
Minimum Qualification :
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including weekends, evenings and holidays
- Possession of a valid California Driver’s License
- Any combination of education equivalent to graduation from high school
- Must have a minimum of two years related work experience in organizing and/or monitoring sports related activities
- Work experience and/or college course work in recreation or related field is highly desirable
- Experience with common computer applications, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, and internet browsers
- Possession of, or ability to obtain within the first three (3) months of employment a CPR/First Aid/AED for infant, child and adult certification
Physical/Sensory Requirements : This is an active position requiring the ability to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and reach extensively; occasional lifting of up to 50 lbs, frequent lifting or moving objects up to 30 lbs.; perform simple and power grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation; verbal and hearing skills to effectively communicate with customers and other staff; and visual acuity to record information accurately and make observations. Work is done both indoors and out, with exposure to, sun, pollens, noise at or above shouting level, chalk dust, and hazards from colliding with students performing stunts, or performing/assisting at heights above floor level, while performing or teaching sports skills.
To Apply : A City of Davis online employment application must be submitted to be considered for this position; paper applications will not be accepted. To apply, please go online at www.cityofdavis.org/jobs
Final Filing Date: 5:00 pm on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 OR until the first 25 qualified applicants are received. Applicants will be notified via email of their application status.
Interviews: September 18-22
Selection: September 25-29
The City of Davis encourages applications from qualified women and minorities. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, disability or sexual preference.
Information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and the provisions are subject to change. According to the Federal Reform and Control Act, the City of Davis is required to hire only U.S. citizens or aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States.
If you require accommodation during any phase of this recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources office at (530)757-5644 or TDD (530)757-5666.
The City of Davis has a no smoking policy for all city facilities.