Purpose, Scope & Dimension of Job: Faculty facilitate student learning and initiate and participate in efforts to consistently improve the level of student success. As learning facilitators, faculty consistently assess learning outcomes and their own teaching effectiveness (pedagogy). As professionals, faculty adhere to the ethical standards of their profession as outlined, for example, by the NEA and the State of Michigan. Where applicable, faculty maintain licensure and certifications.
Specific Teaching Assignment:
Faculty member will be responsible for teaching courses in Speech and Communications, adhering to the stated course objectives, content and delivery.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
1. Master’s degree in Speech Communication from an accredited institution.
2. Two (2) years of practical experience needed in teaching Speech Communication
3. Understanding of and commitment to community college teaching, mission and philosophy.
4. Innovative, flexible and positive teaching style and understanding the needs of students from diverse backgrounds.
5. Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
6. Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations. Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
7. Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
8. Technology Skills: Ability to integrate computer applications into teaching.
9. Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory to instructional program; ability to plan and implement lessons based on division and college objectives and the needs and abilities of students to whom assigned. Ability to establish and maintain collegial relationships with students, peers, staff, and administrators; skill in oral and written communication.
- A foreign degree must be certified, at the candidate’s expense, by a professional evaluation service.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
1. A minimum of two years of post-secondary teaching experience in Speech Communication
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
1. The employee must be able to move about 2/3 of the time and be stationary about 1/3 of the time. S/he is required to be mobile around campus for participant involvement/activities.
2. S/he must be able to converse with individuals on a regular basis with the ability to read, analyze, and interpret their needs via phone conversations, face-to-face conversations, or written documentation.
3. The employee must be able to utilize all programs on a computer independently and efficiently (particularly the internet, Word, and the student database).
4. S/he must be able to present information in an instructional setting and respond to questions from groups.
5. If applicable, must be able to tolerate frequent exposure to a wide variety of chemicals which are common to the industry. Must be able to handle and mix chemicals properly and safely; and wear appropriate gloves and other personal protective equipment.
While part-time faculty are not required to hold regular office hours during the semesters they teach, they are required to make provisions for student consultations as may be necessary and reasonable.
On the application form, an applicant will need to provide contact information for professional references who would be able to comment on the applicant’s teaching performance.
Must be available to teach onsite; opportunities do not exist to teach online courses only.
This is a position we anticipate filling for future semesters. Specific part-time teaching needs for future semesters may not be known until the end of class registration.
If selected for an interview, candidates may need to provide a professional portfolio. Specific instructions will be shared prior to the interview.
Visa sponsorship is not available.
Additional Application Deadline Information
Continuously accepting applications
Equal Opportunity Summary