Academic Approach’s Mission
Academic Approach began with a focused mission: to mentor students while building their skills. By collaborating with dozens of Chicago public, charter, and parochial high schools, the School Programs team brings Academic Approach’s curricular and instructional expertise to underserved student populations.
As a School Programs Instructor, you will teach a cohort of students a specialized standardized test-prep course to meet the group’s needs. Instructors guide students on transferring highly tested skills to real-world applications and help them expand their post high-school options. Apply now for part-time employment with purpose.
Benefits of being an instructor with Academic Approach
- Flexible scheduling: Classes are offered during the school day, after school, or Saturday mornings, so directors match you to a program that fits your availability. Being an instructor is a great opportunity alongside graduate school, a budding acting career, or other part-time work.
- Starting pay at $40 per hour with regular raises for great results: Expect to see your hard work as an instructor acknowledged and rewarded as directors offer regular raises for great performance.
- Meaningfully impact students’ lives : You’ll empower young people in some of Chicago’s highest need schools. The test growth your students will experience may be the difference-maker in earning admission to their dream university or a scholarship that makes attending college a reality.
- Are you an educator or considering a career in education? Many of our instructors are pursuing education careers and appreciate having the chance to hone their instructional skills. Others come to us from a classroom teaching background and love the alternative teaching experience.
- 1-on-1 tutoring opportunities available: In addition to classroom opportunities, instructors can tutor students in a 1-on-1 setting. Engage in rewarding, highly personalized 1-on-1 tutoring programs while enjoying the support of Academic Approach’s expert directors, in-depth training, and state-of-the-art print and online curriculum.
- A bachelor’s degree in any subject or major
- High standardized test scores in English, math, reading, or science
- Excellent communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to teach and mentor successfully
- Friendliness, patience, and sensitivity to a diversity of students
- Passion for eliminating educational inequity in the city of Chicago
- Available late January 2018 – mid-April 2018
- In-person trainings in September, November, and December
- Available 1.5 – 20 hours per week. Weekday mornings, afternoons, and Saturday mornings for a minimum 1 – 3 days per week
Academic Approach is aggressively filling September trainings for school programs instructors across Chicago, so apply before those spots are filled!
Academic Approach is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion, and we seek to build a diverse workforce to promote effective instruction in partnership with the communities we serve. We welcome a diverse pool of qualified applicants. For each of its positions, Academic Approach is mindful about what best serves our students and seeks to hire staff with relevant experience, skills, and a commitment to the power of education.
Job Type: Temporary
Salary: $40.00 /hour