The Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering ( BAE ) is jointly administered by the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences ( CALS ) and the College of Engineering at NC State University. The department actively contributes to the academic, research and extension missions of the University.
Essential Job Duties
The Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering seeks a Research Specialist to provide departmental research support to faculty, staff and students in the following areas; bioprocess engineering, environmental engineering, ecological engineering, precision agriculture/machine systems, controlled agricultural environments, and sustainable waste management. The ideal candidate will have a wide-ranging expertise. This position will function as a department resource and as such, must be able to coordinate the work of multiple projects to meet department deadlines. The Research Specialist must be able to follow clear instructions from faculty members, as well as work independently depending on project needs.
Position will also be expected to operate a motor vehicle, farm machinery and forklift to perform essential job functions.
This incumbent will need to travel off-site alone to observe research and must independently be able to travel from location to location without reliance on others or the advanced notice that is often required of alternative means of transportation.
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Departmental Required Skills
- Bachelor degree in biological engineering, crop science, soil science or closely related discipline.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs frequently and 60-90 lbs occasionally.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Variety of previous project work in a agricultural, engineering or field research setting.
Required License or Certification
- A valid drivers license is required for travel. NC drivers license required within 60 days of hire and must be maintained.
- A valid forklift certification is required within 90 days of hire and must be maintained.
Please attach a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references.