Research Assistant needed to accomplish studies within the Traumatic Nerve Technologies Laboratory within the Department of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics. The primary research project for this position focuses on brain injury and potential treatments which may enhance recovery from injury. Animal models will be used to conduct experiments to determine the cognitive and histological response to trauma. Various brain assessments will be conducted following exposure to differing levels of impact. Brain injury will be assessed using molecular techniques, MRI and specialized microscopy measurements. An increased emphasis on assessing brain injury and repair will involve histological and molecular evaluation of tissues. Additional work will be done to evaluate blood levels of specific biomarkers in order to understand the injury severity and recovery patterns.
– Experience such as coordinating and directing research projects.
– Experience and knowledge in using microscopes.
– Knowledge in molecular biology techniques such as RT- PCR , Western Blotting.
– Experience in tissue sectioning and histological staining.
– Experience in a wet lab setting.
– Proficiency with software such as Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
– Insightful data analysis/statistics skills.
– Enthusiastic team player with the ability to work with other professionals in a close-knit, dynamic group.
– Excellent communication skills and ability to train and manage undergraduate students.
– Strong ownership/responsiveness to issues.
– Applicant must be eligible to pursue a DoD security clearance (US Citizen, Green Card Holder, or Permanent Resident).
– Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent training and/or experience.
– Experience with histological techniques.
Must have a conviction check:
Applicant must be eligible to pursue a DoD security clearance (US Citizen, Green Card Holder, or Permanent Resident).
How to Apply for this Job:
To apply, applicants must complete the online application at www.jobs.vt.edu, posting #SW0170533, and submit a cover letter, resume and list of references as an attachment to the application. Review of applications will begin on August 1, 2017.
If restricted or temporary, enter end date:
Non-exempt: Eligible for overtime
Academic Year or Calendar Year:
If part time, enter Percent Time:
Commensurate with experience
Dept of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics
Location, if not Blacksburg:
Location Zip Code:
M-F; 8am – 5pm
Review Begin Date:
Job Close Date:
Restricted to university employees only?
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.