Position: Real Estate Accounting Temp
Temp position to run from September through February, subject to change at any time at the employer’s discretion.
Reports to: Director of Finance
Accounting Temp tasks include processing high volume Accounts Payable for close to 60 client accounts, and Accounts Receivable for our client’s tenant rent accounts (in hundreds each month.) Additional tasks include security deposit processing, accounting filing system and additional on-going projects.
Aside from AP and AR, the temp role will provide added assistance to the finance department during Year End Close and tax prep to finalizing financial statements for clients. Projects will include processing rent increases, overseeing 1099 MISC filings, and performing balance sheet reconciliations.
Key skills : attention to detail, math, writing/editing, customer service via email and phone, capacity to learn new software quickly, accounting processes, strong excel and data entry skills, and be dependable as a person.
Accounting major desired , however previous work experience may substitute major.
- A/P: verify invoices for correctness, and write payment checks from appropriate GL in timely manner. Goal to have invoices processed and signatures obtained & payments mailed by due date, and casual labor vendor payments ready for Fridays.
- A/P: process tenant security deposit payments on timely manner, and review the paperwork and debit/credit line items for accuracy; have payment signature obtained, and security deposit paperwork & check mailed by due date.
- A/R: enter rent checks to appropriate tenant accounts, and deposit rent checks in Appfolio. Create deposit packages in efficient batches for remote deposit.
- A/R: post late fees on 6th or 7th (varies monthly) and generate late notices and delinquency calls.
- A/R: Monitor delinquency short list by noting repeatedly late payment patterns; create 3-day notices as assigned each month. Aim to have 3-day notices ready to be posted on 2nd business day of each month. Monitor if further 3day notices are needed.
- Rent increases: create appropriately formatted rent increase notices with calculated increases and apply an security deposit interest due as a credit.
- Remind commercial tenants via email of upcoming rent increase by 20th of preceding month.
- Customer service: respond to tenant rent account inquiries in professional and timely manner (aim to within 24 hours if received during business day.) Generate online payment account set up letters as requested and email/mail them to the appropriate tenants.
Additional administrative/accounting projects / added/changed responsibilities as delegated by supervisor(s) from time to time.
- Experience with Billing and Accounting systems required. Experience with complex databases needed.
- Ability to identify, analyze and interpret data and take appropriate action. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions and percentages. Working knowledge of computer software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Zoho.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the team. Ability to work independently on projects and utilize strong self-motivating skills. Must be a detailed oriented individual capable of performing multiple tasks. Must be comfortable learning our billing system and processes as related to both general accounting and the real estate industry.
Job Type: Temporary
Salary: $20.00 to $25.00 /hour
- Berkeley, CA
- Accounting: 1 year