The Village of Glen Ellyn is seeking qualified candidates to fill one part-time Permit Clerk position to provide day-to-day administrative support to the Department for building permit and code enforcement matters. Under the direction of the Building and Zoning Official, coordinates customer service activities related to building permits, which includes assisting with the permit process from application through completion. This position interacts with developers, builders, architects, attorneys, Village officials and staff. In addition to typing, filing and scheduling, performs related office duties, including record keeping, and assisting with a variety of special projects. Serves a highly-visible customer service function in fielding and resolving inquiries and complaints from the public.
- Provides friendly and responsive customer service to homeowners, contractors, and business owners via the phone, in person, by e-mail, and in writing.
- Coordinates requests for building inspections, permits, and plan reviews.
- Educates the public on Village codes and regulations, building processes, inspection requirements, and engineering.
- Performs accurate data entry using building permit management software (e.g. Munis); types and proofreads correspondence, reports, and other documents.
- Initiates, organizes, and maintains accurate and complete filing and record keeping systems.
- Accepts payments for permits, processes deposit refunds, and closes projects.
- Responds to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
- Compiles, calculates, and prepares monthly department reports.
- Coordinates with Village consultants to process permit applications as necessary.
- Accepts citizen inquires and complaints, and forwards to departmental staff as appropriate.
- Provides administrative support to Department Director and Building and Zoning Official, as needed.
- Schedules inspections and handles difficult customer service situations.
- Prepares correspondence and mailings related to permits and zoning variations.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS :
Qualified candidates must possess a completed Associate’s degree or two years of college or technical or business school; and 1 year of related work experience; Bachelor’s degree preferred. Prior customer service and government experience is necessary. The Village is seeking qualified candidates who effectively demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with tact and professionalism in a fast-paced workplace. Must also be able to effectively manage one’s time, solve problems and exercise sound judgment in a multi-tasking environment. Must be detail oriented and exercise considerable independent judgment in making determinations on various important problems, which do not involve deviations from established policies and procedures.
Applicants will be required to interpret and apply Village policies and procedures, written instructions, and general correspondence; must demonstrate the ability to complete assignments accurately and within established deadlines. Qualified applicants will also possess excellent typing skills and be proficient in personal computer skills and programs including Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Windows-based programs; previous experience with Munis software or equivalent is a plus. The position also requires individuals capable of completing basic mathematical calculations.
The average work hours will be 19 hours per week. Typical work schedule is 8:00am to 4:30pm, Thursdays and Fridays, and every other Wednesday, with the ability to work additional hours and/or hours other than listed above, as needed. Coordinates schedule for counter coverage during lunch breaks, vacations, etc… Flexibility to occasionally trade shifts with other Permit Clerks to accommodate vacation schedules and/or training is required.
SALARY/BENEFITS: The pay offered for this part-time, non-exempt position is $19.65/hr with no additional fringe benefits.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter. Hard copies (faxed, mailed, or hand-delivered) of resumes will be declined.
- Applicants must indicate (Job ID: #26-17 – Permit Clerk) in the subject line of their e-mail.
- The selected finalist will be required to successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background check, reference check, and post offer medical physical with a drug screening.
- The position is open until filled; however, first review of resumes will begin on September 1, 2017. _Candidates requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact Human Resources at 630-469-5000._
THE VILLAGE OF GLEN ELLYN IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Job Type: Part-time