DC Information-Technology Internship
Wellspring Advisors’ Information-Technology Internship provides practical training in enterprise IT and
knowledge management for philanthropic organizations. The internship offers an opportunity to become
an integral member of an operations team supporting programmatic and grantmaking activities in human
rights and social justice. Wellspring Advisors will provide opportunities for learning and exposure to the
operations side of philanthropy.
The intern will work directly with the IT team in a variety of IT and knowledge management–related
activities, including hardware configuration and support, data governance, cloud-implementation
projects, staff training and project management. Also, the intern will participate in weekly meetings and
attend events where he or she can build networking skills, learn about new technologies and report back
on recommended solutions.
• Ambitious student pursuing an associate’s, bachelor’s or master’s degree in, engineering,
information systems, computer science, mathematics, arts & sciences, or communications,
• previous volunteer or work experience in nonprofit or philanthropic sector preferred,
• excellent English-language written- and verbal-communication skills,
• able to operate effectively within a globally dispersed, complex and highly collaborative
• concrete knowledge of modern computer-networking technologies,
• fluent in Windows, Office, iOS and cloud technologies,
• excellent troubleshooting skills,
• training or teaching experience is a plus,
• able to research a range of topics and synthesize information concisely in a written report,
• displays initiative and resourcefulness when addressing users’ issues,
• able to communicate technical information to nontechnical audience thoughtfully and effectively,
• able to handle confidential client information with complete discretion.
• Be open to and enthusiastic about a wide range of projects,
• help deploy new desktop and laptop hardware,
• carry out research projects as agreed with IT team,
• perform administrative tasks as requested [e.g., updating inventory, organizing and updating
technology hub on intranet, creating service-oriented architecture (SOA), recycling hardware],
• help test and plan migration of shared files to a cloud document management solution
• present ideas for improving and streamlining IT processes,
• create and update resources on technology for staff and IT team,
• be ok with lifting of computer equipment 30 lbs or less throughout the DC office expansion project
(listed below) and
• help develop and update IT architecture documents and standard operating procedures
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed;
it is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. As
needed from time to time, the intern may be required to perform duties outside of his or her normal
Fall 2017 Project
Wellspring Advisors’ DC office will be conducting an expansion project beginning in September
and ending in the middle of December.
The intern will be asked to support both help desk functions and assist with expansion details and
tasks including but not limited to:
o Assisting the Office Manager and the IT Associate with equipping new offices, conferences
rooms and general office space with furniture and IT equipment.
o Assisting and training staff with audio and video needs during virtual or live meetings.
Benefits (Wellspring internships offer an opportunity to):
• Hourly position ($15/hour)
• learn firsthand how an IT department in a philanthropic organization functions,
• collaborate effectively in a team focused environment,
• work with industry leading security and cloud software solutions,
• learn best practices for enterprise content management,
• acquire deeper understanding of the role philanthropic organizations play in promoting and
advancing social justice and human rights,
• strengthen personal and professional skills in an exciting work environment,
• learn about best practices by attending webinars and online trainings,
• take the next step toward a successful and meaningful career.
ABOUT WELLSPRING ADVISORS
Wellspring Advisors, LLC, coordinates grantmaking programs that advance the realization of human rights
and social and economic justice for all people. Our work is rooted in respect for the dignity and worth of
every human being and is informed by the following beliefs:
• Social institutions and structures should promote the full realization of human rights and human
potential, and should be accountable to these ends.
• The rights of all people are advanced when the rights of the most marginalized and vulnerable
peoples are protected.
• Social-justice movements should employ means that are consistent with their ideals, and should
give agency to the people whose interests they seek to advance.
• As responsible stewards, we must strive to maximize the impact of our charitable investments.
Wellspring is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applications should demonstrate strong research and writing talents, excellent communication skills and
the ability to independently undertake various research, writing and administrative projects.
How to apply:
• Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “IT Intern” in the subject line, and
attach the following documents:
1. a cover letter with a brief personal statement, and an outline of career goals and
a. Resume will not be considered without a supporting cover letter.
2. a resume listing relevant courses, previous experience and special skills,
• Complete applications must be received, not postmarked, by the deadline, Friday, September 8th,
• Internship runs from September 25th – December 15th, 2017 (flexible).
• No phone calls, please