Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Finance and Accounting Specialist is primarily responsible for to production of accounts payable checks for EMG, preparing standard and recurring journal entries and filing annual property taxes. The position is also required to function as the primary backup for biweekly payroll processing.
Eskenazi Medical Group employees are expected to model PRIDE values (Professionalism, Respect, Innovation, Development, and Excellence) and be positive representatives of our organization on and off the job. This earns the trust and respect necessary to serve all our customers with excellence. Employees proactively contribute to EMG’s mission and professional goals: Advocate, Care, Teach and Serve.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Interacts with all internal and external customers in a caring and respectful manner in accordance with our Core Values philosophy.
- Creates and updates payroll procedure manual.
- Serves as an understudy to the payroll manager and understands all the functions of processing payroll on a biweekly basis.
- Understands the confidentiality of the payroll information.
- Reviews, monitors and processes a variety of fiscal transactions.
- Reconciles accounts. Maintains records. Receives and accounts for cash transactions. Performs billing.
- Reviews accounts payable transactions for accurate documentation. Authorizes and processes payments.
- Enters data onto spread sheets, ledgers, worksheets and/or other forms. Responds to inquiries; checks accounting transactions to resolve discrepancies.
- May support research administration activities such as monitoring grant funding and expenditures. Performs related responsibilities as required.
- Create and update accounts payable procedure manual.
- Prepares standard and recurring journal entries on a monthly basis and posts them into the Solomon accounting system.
- Files annual property taxes in May of each year.
- Assists the senior accountant with additional monthly duties as required on an as needed basis.
- Files unclaimed property reports as of November 1st of each year.
ASSOCIATED JOB DUTIES:
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Provides support when needed to the Finance Department
- Identifies potential areas for cost savings or efficiency improvements.
- Creates and maintains job procedure documentation.
- Scans and verifies documents.
- Responds to individual departmental needs for payroll, accounts payable or finance data .
JOB REQUIREMENTS SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of payroll related laws and regulations and maintains such understanding as laws and regulations change.
- Knowledge of all EMG Human Resource Policies and Procedures.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Exceptional customer relations skills.
- Strong computer skills including working knowledge of MS Excel and Word applications.
- Detail oriented.
- Strong mathematical aptitude.
- Ability to coordinate a large volume of work.
- Ability to prioritize.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work under pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to use standard office equipment.
- Candidate must be familiar with general ledger mechanics and payroll accounting.
- Must be able to work independently after initial training period.
- Confidentiality of information is required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Two years college with courses in accounting or business. Two years related experience. An equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience may be used.
- Must have 2-3 years of bookkeeping/accounting experience.
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles
- Computer skills with experience in Excel and Word.
- Exercise level of independent judgment and decision making.
- Protects and maintains the confidentiality of employees and financial data
- Maintains protected health information in accordance with HIPAA privacy guidelines and regulations
SPECIAL EFFORT REQUIRED:
- High degree of mental effort, concentration and accuracy
- Mental demands and deadlines could create stress loads at times requiring time management skills and temporary adjustment of working hours
- Flexibility to changing work schedule based on priority of project timelines and deadlines
- Must exercise sound judgment; make decisions to determine extent of problems and to decide on appropriate course of action.
- Office setting-professional
- Overtime may be required to meet payroll/other deadlines
- Overtime may be required for year-end audit preparation.
- Works closely with Human Resources, Payroll, and Finance to resolve any issues .