About the Agency
When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit
for additional information.
The ideal candidate would have experience coordinating, monitoring, and/or conducting disaster related reviews of environmental and historic preservation projects. This position starts at a salary of $66,379 (GS-11) and $79,563 (GS-12) with promotion potential to the $79,563 (GS-12). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Region 5 team within FEMA.
Promotion Potential: Future promotions will be dependent on your ability to perform the duties at a higher level, the continuing need for an employee assigned to the higher level, and administrative approval.
Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee’s official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
In this position you will serve as an Environmental Protection Specialist, performing emergency management work including managing, and coordinating with other entities the mitigation from intentional and/or unintentional crises, disasters, other humanitarian emergencies, hazards, or natural and manmade/technological (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, high-yield explosives) incidents. Typical assignments include:
• Preparing and completing legally binding defensible environmental compliance (e.g. wetlands, waterways, fish and wildlife, threatened and endangered species, and archeological and historic resource consultations approvals, and permits) and environmental review document, including Categorical Exclusions (CATEXs), Environmental Assessments (EA), and supporting documents for proposed FEMA-funded projects.
• Planning, coordinating, monitoring, conducting, and completing environmental reviews of FEMA-funded projects under NEPA and all applicable environmental statues, executive orders, and regulations. Reviews project applications to determine environmental review level required. Providing states and applicants with technical assistance and public outreach for environmental reviews, planning, design regulatory consultations and compliance. Assists and cross-trains FEMA specialists provide environmental services.
• Coordinating with staff from other agencies in resolving environmental issues and achieving compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Responds to inquiries from the public and other interested parties about project-related environmental issues.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional non-emergency travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- U.S. citizens
- Status candidates
may also apply under
of terms found in this announcement.
This announcement will close at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) Thursday,
September 07, 2017
OR at 11:59 p.m. ET on the date the 200
application is received, whichever comes first.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position.
- You must successfully pass a background investigation.
- Selective Service registration required.
- You must be able to obtain and maintain a Government credit card.
- Please review “Other Information” section for additional key requirements.
The qualification requirements listed below must be met within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
Qualifications are based on breadth/level of experience. In addition to describing duties performed, applicants must provide the exact dates of each period of employment (from MM/YY to MM/YY) and the number of hours worked per week if part time. As qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, failure to provide this information may result in disqualification. Applicants are encouraged to use the USAJOBS Resume Builder to develop their federal resume. For a brief video on How to Create a Federal Resume, click
Current or former FEMA Reservists/DAE employees:
To accurately credit your experience for these intermittent positions, make sure to list the dates (from MM/YY to MM/YY) of each deployment, along with the job title and specific duties you were responsible for during each deployment. Failure to provide this information may result in disqualified.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
You qualify for this position at the GS-11 level (starting salary $66,379) if you possess the following:
One full year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-09 level, that demonstrates the following: experience conducting disaster related reviews of environmental and historic preservation projects that are compliant with applicable laws
Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree
LL.M., if related
Combination of education and experience
You qualify for this position at the GS-12 level (starting salary $79,563) if you possess the following:
One full year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-11 level, that level that demonstrates the following: experience coordinating, monitoring, and conducting disaster related reviews of environmental and historic preservation projects that are compliant with applicable laws.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills, and provides valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Public Trust – Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once you submit your application, we will assess your experience and training, identify the best qualified applicants, and refer those applications to the hiring manager for further consideration and interviews. We will notify you by email after each of these steps has been completed. We expect to make a tentative job offer within 30 days after the deadline for applications. If you are selected, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
View more information on
applying for federal employment.
Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders. interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
Review our benefits
- To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo, successfully pass, and maintain a background investigation for
clearance as a condition of placement into this position. This may include a credit check after initial job qualifications are determined (
), review of financial issues, such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs.
For more information on background investigations for Federal jobs please visit the OPM website at
- If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an
Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment
, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
- DHS uses E-verify, an internet based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about
, including your rights and responsibilities.
- This announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies.
- All candidates must be able to deploy with little or no advance notice to anywhere in the United States and its territories for an extended period of time.
- A one year probationary period is required for new Federal competitive service employees and new supervisors and managers.
- If selected for this position you will be required to attend a two week Emergency Manager Orientation (EMO) in Anniston, AL or Emmitsburg, MD. Travel is at FEMA’s expense and will occur from Sunday to Friday.
Peace Corps/VISTA volunteers,
and persons with disabilities
possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility for non-competitive appointment and to understand the documentation that is required, click on the links above or contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position.
This job originated on
. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at
will be considered.