Otis McAllister, Inc., a 125-year-old global food business, with operations in club, retail, foodservice, private label and industrial sectors, is seeking an intern in the Quality Assurance Department of its Rice & Grains Division. This internship would provide support to Otis McAllister’s Food Scientist and assist in product development and production scale up along with daily execution of R& D-related activities. This is a part time intern position. Schedule to be determined according to intern and company availability, approximately 20-30 hours per week.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in food product launches from bench top testing to production commercialization
- Assist in product development projects and setting specifications to include: sourcing/qualifying ingredients, establishing machinery requirements, determining manufacturing processes for new products
- Help Conduct Sensory Panels for internal evaluation.
- Assist with the ideation of new products through market research and product surveys.
- Coordinate, produce, inventory and ship buyer samples
- Organize ingredient inventory and request the necessary ingredients for research projects.
- Capture and provide analysis of data results in Excel.
- Participates on cross functional teams to ensure effective resolution of technical issues and support product innovation.
- Ingredient sourcing – identify potential ingredient suppliers in the US & international
Essential Job Requirements and Experience:
- Scientific curriculum, preferably Food Science, Nutrition or Culinary Arts.
- Third or fourth year undergraduate student or graduate student
- Strong attention to detail and follow-up.
- Strong interest in food Research & Development
- Knowledge of cooking required.
- Ability to work effectively independently, and as a member of a team.
- Problem solving and excellent communication skills
- Organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple task.
- Basic knowledge of chemistry, biology, physics, statistics with additional course-work in nutrition or food science a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and advanced proficiency in Internet research and usage.
- To be passionate, passionate about food!
- To be driven, creative and innovative.
- To have the ability to communicate ideas and collaborate within a team.
- To be unselfish; to listen and develop products that meet and exceed our customer’s expectations
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds without assistance.
From time to time tasks may be assigned outside the parameters of this document. Every attempt will be made to supply advance notice; however, there may be times when advance notice is not possible.
Job Type: Internship
Salary: $15.50 /hour