Prevention Action Alliance is an Ohio 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization with a mission: leading healthy communities in preventing substance misuse and promoting mental health wellness. Located in Columbus, OH, Prevention Action Alliance is celebrating 30 years of prevention education and community support for statewide prevention efforts.
The primary support and coordination function of the Community Support Specialist will be in service to the G.A.P. Network program housed at Prevention Action Alliance; the program seeks to engage families and family engagement groups that have been affected by overdose loss, and coordinate statewide activities into advocacy for substance misuse prevention. In addition, the position will help promote other community based activities such as coalition building and resource support under the Ohio Center for Coalition Excellence. This role manages annual program activities and special projects aimed at building community infrastructure and preventing substance misuse in communities. This position is involved in customer/community needs assessment, agency planning, budgeting, strategy implementation, and activity evaluation.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned. *Denotes an essential function.
- Identifies goals and assists with the development and implementation of programs and projects.*
- Coordinates trainings and provides logistics support for program activities.*
- Develops new strategies, services, and resources which help to develop and sustain programs and grants.*
- Provides technical assistance as needed through site visits, phone support, electronic communications, and website resources.*
- Promotes programs initiatives.*
- Coordinates prevention efforts with various entities.*
- Provides leadership and support to entire staff.*
- Creates reports and maintains accurate records.*
- Seek ways to expand geographical influence and increase diversity.
- Assist in identifying opportunities to expand funding for programs.
- Assists in representing the agency at various local, state, and national events as needed.*
- Assists with other prevention programs and agency promotion as needed.*
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential duties of the Community Support Specialist:
- Assist in building relationships with families and family engagement groups who have been affected by overdose loss (G.A.P. Network Members).
- Overseas coordination activities for the G.A.P. Network, including the Annual Summit and semi-monthly Advisory Council meetings. Activities for G.A.P. are under the supervision of the Director of Coalition Programs.
- Help to identify goals and assist with the development and implementation of projects to meet both the program goals and the needs of G.A.P. Network members and their community based partners.
- Provide support, technical assistance and training to G.A.P. Members in the areas of environmental strategies and advocacy via personal visits, telephone consultations, trainings, electronic communications and website resources.
- Supports the aims of the Ohio Center for Coalition Excellence by identifying community opportunities for training and building coalition supports in Ohio.
- Prepares monthly e-correspondence for both G.A.P. Network members and the Ohio Coalition of Excellence customer base.
- Promote Prevention Action Alliance in strategic venues, not limited to: recovery rallies, community events, professional conferences, and stakeholder meetings.
- Complete detailed activity reports and outcomes tracking for the G.A.P. Network events and other assigned community-based assignments.
- Maintaining relationships with key partners and stakeholders related to community-based activities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and mass email software.
Bachelor’s degree (B. A. / B. S.) from four-year college or university; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates and Licenses:
Ohio Certified Prevention Specialist or in the process of obtaining certification.
Knowledge, Skills and Other Abilities:
- Drug-free workplace
- Excellent customer service skills
- Thorough appreciation and acceptance of, and commitment to, diversity
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrate dependability in meeting deadlines and coordinating tasks
- Strong leadership skills and self-motivated
- Ability to build consensus and facilitate collaboration, as well as the ability to build and sustain productive relationships with diverse individuals, groups, organizations and communities
- Strong analytical ability; must be able to collect, analyze, interpret, report and utilize data
- Experience or education in alcohol, tobacco and other drug prevention preferred
- Experience with webinar based services, knowledge of environmental strategies, and coalition development preferred
- Experience curating newsletters and/or e-communications preferred
- Social work, case management, or counseling background preferred
- Ability to travel within the state or out of the state on occasion
- Flexible schedule, may include weekends on occasion
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This role will require the ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $42,000.00 to $48,000.00 /year
Required license or certification:
- Driver’s License