English as a Second Language Instructor
Foundation Communities (FC) is a nationally-recognized nonprofit organization that provides affordable housing and the tools low- and moderate-income families need to improve their educational and economic standing. FC provides on-site community centers with educational opportunities for the entire family, including English as a Second Language, Pre-Literacy, and After-School/Summer Youth programs.
Position Reports To: Adult Education Program Coordinator
Job Description: In cooperation with the Adult Education department of Foundation Communities, the ESL Instructor will plan and implement lessons for Adult English Language Learners to assist in their journey to assimilation. We are looking to hire for TWO shifts- Mornings from 9-11am, and Evenings from 6:30-8:30pm. Classes are held at our Sierra Vista Learning Center (4320 South Congress Avenue), Monday-Thursday in accordance with the AISD holiday calendar. Option for the same teacher to teach both shifts if desired!
- Demonstrate and promote punctuality and excellent communication skills
- Develop and implement program-approved curriculum (materials provided)
- Establish and maintain a safe environment for students that share our space
- Exhibit a genuine desire to engage adult learners in the process of language acquisition
- Adapt lessons to fit the needs of a culturally diverse class
- Manage and motivate classroom volunteers
- High School Diploma or Equivalent, priority given to applicants with coursework in English, Education, and Social Services
- CELTA or TESOL certified preferred but not required
- Excellent communication skills
- Reliable means of transportation
- Some experience providing educational and/or social services to economically disadvantaged families
- Demonstrated ability to adapt in rapidly changing environment
Compensation: Hourly rate of $17+ BOE for 2 hours teaching + 1 hour prep per class, and occasional team meetings. Materials are provided.
No phone calls, please.
Foundation Communities is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Job Type: Part-time
- Austin, TX